Welcome to the Autumn Term in Foundation with
Mrs Stabler, Mrs Wooton
Mrs Hutchinson and Mrs Bentley
It is great to see the children back in school, they are all eager and excited to learn, which is lovely to see! We hope you all had a lovely summer!
A warm welcome to our new children who have started this week, the children have settled into school really well and are busy learning all the routines of the class. They are beginning to develop their own interests as well as making new friends. Thank you for all your support in settling the children into their new class. If you have any questions please see one of the foundation team or send a message through our class Do Jo page, we are always here to help and support you.
Our first topic for the Autumn term is “Why do you love me so much?” In this topic we will be learning all about the children and their families. This will help us to get to know your child and help support them with their transition into school. The books we will use are: ‘Where’s my teddy’ and ‘Guess how much I love you’.
After the first four weeks we will change our topic to ‘Can we explore it?’
We can’t go over it. We can’t go under it. We’ve got to go through it! Can we explore it? Where can we hide? It’s time to discover and explore holes, hiding spaces and great adventures in faraway places. This term, we’ll explore the exciting features of a local place of interest, taking in the sights and smells and collecting interesting items along the way. We’ll find out about what to say and do if we get lost, share photos of places we’ve already explored and practise a spot of map reading. Then it’s time to pack our bags for an adventure! What will we need? Ready and prepared, we’ll explore a range of hideaways, play Hide-and-Seek, dig holes and tunnels and guess what’s inside mysterious boxes. In our literacy lessons, we’ll read adventure stories and dig for ‘golden coins’, reading out the phonemes on each coin’s surface. In our maths lessons, we’ll sort tubes of different lengths and widths, and we’ll go on a ‘number walk’, hunting for numbers on doors, signs and vehicles. Then, we’ll go on a bear hunt, working together to navigate a series of obstacles, draw a map and, of course, to find teddy!
We will also learn about traditions at this time of year: Harvest, Bonfire Night and Christmas. All of this is done through carefully selected books which encourage your child to fully engage with the topic and learn as much as possible.
- Foundation one children will have a school library book for you to share at home with your child. Every Monday your child will bring home a new library book. Please return them to school on a Friday so we can quarantine these over the weekend.
- Foundation two children will bring home a new reading book that is at their current level every Monday. Please return all books to school on a Friday for quarantining. Children are encouraged to develop their love of reading by using books, magazines and reading resources from home during the weekend.
- The children are expected to read at home four times a week. Please remember to write in your child’s reading planner if you listen to your child read, as they are rewarded in school for reading at home.
Our routines and reminders:
- Our PE session will be every Wednesday. Due to the current situation the children will not need a PE kit, the children will wear their school uniform for the autumn term. We will keep you updated on any changes.
- Thank you to all of you who have been bringing book bags every day. It is really important to bring them to school every day so we can send home new letters and any of the children’s pictures or work, as well as their school reading books and planners.
- Can you please send your child to school with a spare change of clothes, pants, socks, trousers/skirt as accidents occur and it’s helpful if your child has their own clothes to change into. Please leave them in a bag on their peg and please make sure all items are labelled.
- Can you please send a pair of wellies for your child to keep at school, to use in our mud kitchen and digging area.
- You can send pictures through class Do Jo, to share your child’s achievements from home. These contribute to your child’s assessment and are a vital part of the progress your child will make. This is an opportunity for us to hear about and celebrate your child’s home achievements.
- Show and tell will be every Friday. Due to the current situation we are unable to have any objects brought into school. You can send a photo through class Do Jo of your child and their chosen object to share at show and tell. This could be a toy, photo, certificate or special object. This will help develop the children’s communication and language skills, as well as their confidence to speak in a familiar group.
Thank you for entrusting your child to us this year. We promise to do our best each day to guide your child in exploring and learning, as well as helping them to feel safe and valued.
We look forward to working with you this year so that together we can make sure your child is as happy as possible and achieve their full potential.
Thank you for your support!
Mrs Stabler, Mrs Wooton, Mrs Hutchison and Mrs Bentley