The school council gives pupils the opportunity to get more involved in the way the school is run. They work to make improvements to the school and the way thing are done. The School Council benefits the whole school, pupils and teachers, because it provides opportunities for pupils to communicate their feelings as well as influence decisions that are made. Pupils are able to develop skills such as confidence, communication and negotiation. It is the responsibility of each Councillor to ensure that they express both their own views and the views of all the other pupils they represent.
Our School council members are:-
Class 1 - Daniel & Olivia
Class 2 - Elliott & Phoebe
Class 3 - Issac & Lacey
Class 4 - Clayton & Millie
Class 5 - Lucy & Riley
Class 6 - Lillie & Tyler
What we have been doing....
During our previous meetings we have been discussing several topics including the following:
- How the School Council would like to raise money.
- The children decided on a cake sale, so for one week last term each class brought in cakes and buns to sell in school. The money raised went to buying new books for our ever expanding classroom libraries.
- The children were given 12 values and had to work in two teams to create a pyramid (leaving two out) of which values they thought were the most important in school. These together with work done in class have helped to create our new values in school: Love,Respect, Courage, Perseverance and Truthfulness.
- How would the children like to spend the tuck shop money? The school council decided they would like some new playground equipment. This included a parachute, catch mits with balls, skipping ropes, ring toss game, playground chalks, a multi person basketball net and more balls.
- The school council decided together that for red nose day this year they would sell red noses and dress up as a superhero -real or imaginary. The two year six children thoroughly impressed me with their persuasive writing skills when they wrote a letter to the parents to try to get as many people as they could involved in this day.